The purpose of this association is to provide, through professional organization and cooperation, for continuous search for and promotion of ideas and practices which are most effective in the education of teachers. This association is to serve as the voice for the higher education component of teacher education in the state of Tennessee, representing those who seek quality in teacher education and providing a vehicle for all teacher education institutions in the state to work together for the improvement of teacher education. This association shall advocate PK-12 education and shall seek the enhancement of the quality of education in all areas.
TACTE’s vision is to facilitate and support all persons involved in providing high quality, standards-based, teacher education processes.
- To establish, promote, and adhere to quality standards in teacher education
- To influence and recommend policies, programs, and activities which impact teacher education
- To develop and define positions of importance in teacher education
- To stimulate and facilitate research, experimentation, and evaluation of teacher education and related areas of learning and teaching
- To cooperate and collaborate with professional and state organizations and agencies in activities designed to improve teacher education
- To serve as a clearinghouse for information and reports and to publicize findings of studies which have significance for teacher education
- To positively represent teacher education to its various publics
- To maintain effective communication and liaison with the national AACTE organization
TACTE is committed to supporting programs and policies of teacher education that make it possible for every student at all levels and in all classrooms to have guidance and care of the high qualified and effective teacher. This will be achieved through:
- Researching various models of instruction and matching certification requirements
- Bringing clarity to the scope and nature of certification regulations
- Development of endorsement areas supported by teaching competencies in content and skill areas
- Encouraging and creating strategies to eliminate the need for the use of emergency permits in public schools
- Working with professional colleagues and others to maintain a strong standards-based teacher licensure process.
- To collaborate with professionals and others to use teacher assessment data for program approval purposes.
- Developing a more effective clinically-based model and accountability system for teacher education programs.
- Working in partnership with districts to develop teachers and leaders that commit to sustainable work in a given community.